" Campus "


1) Sudhir Pande who played my father.
2)Arif, Pari, Ninad, Resham, Suchita & me

3) Ballu, Sandy, Prashant, Ravi & me
Paritosh Painter , me & Resham


This entire group was close to Sanjeev, which had Shefali Chaya, Bharat Nerkar ( One of the best Cinematographer of India television ), Vijay ( best recordist famous for no dubbing when cordless were not in use).

Indrajeet Arora a dear friend of Sanjeev Bhatacharya and me too.
Sanjeev Seth ( handsome villian ) & Ravi Kolekar
Sanjeev Loved to be loved by his Actors , he had a very deep emotional bonding with most of them, everyone of us have great memories of him.
I owe Campus to one friend and that is Kannan Iyer, before Campus I had done a Hindi film called Vartaman, where I met Kannan, and he was the decent of the lot, he had come from Delhi after the successful serial Fauji with Shahrukh Khan, and he called me one day and said let us go on the set of a new serial called Campus at St Xaviers school. I was not at all keen to do a serial, I always wanted to do films, but he force me to accompany him, we both had done a photoshoot with my friend Vinayak Misal, so Kannan had my photographs which he carried with him, when we reached St. Xaviers School shooting was going on and could see Resham shooting that time I didn't know her, I was standing far away, Kannan wanted me to come and meet Sanjeev Bhatacharya the Director of the serial but I refused, he want himself and some assistant asked him to leave the photographs with him, And Kannan along with his photographs handed my photos also to the assistants.
I completely forgot the episode and one evening I get a call from Sanjeev Bhatacharya to come and meet him immediately, I was reluctant but still went, he was staying in a rented flat at Adarsh nagar, Andheri. He explained the character to me and very honest to tell me that this character was written for an actor who had play Tony in his previous serial "Chunuati" ( That serial was a hit serial on DD and I was in last year B.com at that time ), when I came to know that the character " Ravi Bhatnager " which he had offered to me was a negative one , I immediately refused it, he said he I suit the role and was very keen to have me in the serial as Tony for whom the role was written live out of town and is not coming and he is in a fix as the shoot was next day, he wanted me to take time and decide, he left me in the living room alone, after few minutes his wife Geeta entered and she was so kind and nice that I wouldn't say no to her and agreed to do a nagetive role and that also in a serial and which had just started on Zee tv and was not popular.
Next day early in the morning I was a St. Xavier's college. Sanjeevji had a very clear character in his mind so he send me along with his brother-inlaw Guru to buy a pendent and an earring, then he colour my sidelock red. with a black jacket, I was introduced as " Ravi Bhatnager " captain of Bharat College cricket team, and a gang of 6/7 gang members. very awesome entry with many bikes following my bike and my coach sitting behind me and he introducing Ravi Bhatnager.
The next day we were shooting at Goregaon Sunvilla Bangalow, with Ninad & Suchita, the scene was Ravi Bhatnager breaks Shakti's ( Ninad's character) hand cause he is a good batsman, Ravi Bhatnager never loses to anyone. A very melodramatic scene, every one enjoyed the scene and I could see Sanjeev being proud for having found someone better than his expectations about Tony. I came home and cried alone as I knew I will be established as a Villian which I never wanted to become. But then I made up my mind that I will start enjoying that negative character and do my best. And as Sanjeev Bhatacharya was very happy with my work, he started developing that character very strongly, he also gave me some tips about performing on television, as the audience has a remote control in their hand so how to stop them from changing channels. I become a Zee Star as Ravi Bhatnager started becoming popular.
Mahesh Manjarekar now who is a bigtime Director in Hindi films use to play police sub-inspector in the serial, and later offered me an important role in his debut film "Aai" which was a golden jubilee at prabhat talkies,poona. After Mahesh quit Campus I recommanded Kannan's name for that role, and as I had great relation with Sanjeevji I had a say in the casting, that role of Sub-inspector was given to Kannan, and I was very happy, as was in Campus because of him and the kind of success I was enjoying was just because of him. The very first day of his shoot same mahesh's uniform was givento him which was not of Kannan size, Kannan had an argument with Sanjeev's brother-in-law Guru and after few episodes Kannan quit the serial. Than he directed a serial himself called "Strugglers" inwhich I was playing one of the leading role and Pratima was acting in it and after many many years they both married.
Campus was a roller coaster ride of relationships and emotions, many fell in love with each other and some even got married, and one of the best couple was Sanjeev Seth & Resham, and they have two Daugthers.Most of the actors from campus are doing very well now, Arif has become an international actor with films like "Dance like a man" with Shobana, "Darmiyan" directed by Kalpana Lazmi and many more, Mahesh manjarekar became Big Director, Paritosh who was sanjeev's blue eyed boy is a big time english theatre personality and writer along with Ballu of big hindi films and now he is directing a film too, Gracy Singh is a Star today after Lagaan and Munnabhai MBBS and will become bigger star after her forthcoming film " Chanchal", Ninad Kamat the best dubbing artist in the country, Shefali Chaya an acclaimed artist, Aryan Vaid become a top model. Resham again a star in Marathi,
Sanjeev Bhatacharya Passed away too early, when he was a star director on television, almost two years after campus stopped and midway of "Amanat", at the time His Serial " Amanat " was at the peak, Indarji ( Indrajeet Arora ) directed the serial after Sanjeevji death, and continued the successful run of the serial and Recently he directed a big hindi film " Chanchal "and casted me opposite Gracy Singh, the film was entirely shot in Shimla. which is due for release.
Indraji is one of my favourate Director as he never follow my negative image, all the role he offer to me were very positive and lovable be it " Janbaaz" or " Abhilasha". all I thoroughly enjoyed, and above all the film " Chanchal".









Comments

Anonymous said…
I was a big fan of 'campus' and still cherish the memories when the show was aired in the early nineties on Zee. Great show with wonderful plot and powerful acting by the actors. Shakti, Toni, Ganesh Bihari, Jaganiya.... just love those days
Anonymous said…
i just love the title song.
"akash yahi apne udano ka ye manjil hai apne armano ka campus campus"
Anonymous said…
ravi kolekar is my mama :) :)
starwin said…
very itnersting post dude
all memories of campus came alive
when i read this....what a fantastic serial
u were outstanding in the serial
i was in school 8th standard or something at at that time
sweet memories
please keep posting more
and share more
one of my fave blogs..
Unknown said…
Wow..... An industry where things are so unstable, sustaining for so many years n proving urself is not a child's play !
Anonymous said…
who are u??

Popular posts from this blog

" Campus " Successful serial on Zee

" Sakha Bhau Pakka Vairi " ( Marathi Film) Trailor